The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. New details reveal Victoria Martens was victimized in the weeks leading up to her death. Search warrants state Michelle Martens, the 10-year-old’s mother, told police she allowed other men to victimize Victoria and another child in the family before the night Victoria was killed. Investigators took cell phones, a camcorder and computer tablets from the scene and are no working with the feds.
2. The jury in the murder trial against accused cop killer Andrew Romero will take a break Thursday. Wednesday his then girlfriend Tabitha Littles told the court that only her and Romero where in the car the night Romero was accused of fatally shooting Officer Gregg Benner. Littles said Romero shoved her out of the car then tried to drive off from the traffic stop. She added that’s when Officer Benner approached the car and she heard four gun shots – three hit and killed Benner. The defense tried to discredit Littles highlighting her history of lying.
3. Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Raquel Reedy expected to meet with a civil rights group soon over accusations of discrimination for bilingual teachers. The New Mexico chapter of LULAC claims Hispanic teachers at Jimmy Carter Middle School have reported white principals have quote “harassed, belittled, and humiliated” them. LULAC says the district has ignored repeated complaints.
4. An active morning for those near the eastern state line as strong storms continue to drop heavy rain and frequent lightning on their trek east. More of the same is expected this afternoon with storm chances favoring south-central and eastern New Mexico.
Full Forecast: Kristen’s Thursday morning forecast
5. The Albuquerque Fire Department now has more than 500 teddy bears to give to kids during domestic or abuse calls. The stuffed animals are a donation by the Retired Northwest Pilot’s Association. They recently held their reunion in Albuquerque that brings pilots from all around the country together.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Judge to decide if suspect in Victoria Martens’ murder will serve out old sentence
- Hearing set to decide what jurors can hear in Sandy, Perez trial
- School battles historic designation for Sanbusco Center
- Thousands around the world sign petition to get jail guard fired
- Boy, 13, fatally shot by police after pulling out BB gun
- Suspect in mosque fire had made anti-Islamic Facebook posts
- Father: 15-year-old involved in murder fled to New Mexico
- Changes coming to outdated language in New Mexico constitution
- CNM reaching out to former ITT Tech students