The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Prosecutors in the murder trial of two former Albuquerque police officers will likely start working on a letter to Bernalillo County’s District Attorney who recused herself from the trial, cautioning her about making future statements to the media about the case. The two on trial, Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez are facing second degree murder charges for the killing of homeless camper James Boyd in the Foothills in 2014. Tuesday, a judge denied the defense’s motion for a dismissal or change of venue, but did issue an order when they asked the judge to reprimand prosecutors for public statements before the trial.
2. New, dramatic TV ads urging everyone to report child abuse are getting a lot of attention. Released in the wake of recent child abuse cases and the murder of Victoria Martens, the ads show kids asking for help and urge anyone who witnesses or suspects child abuse to call the state’s child abuse hotline #SAFE. Gov. Susana Martinez says the number of reports to CYFD have increased significantly since Victoria Martens’ death.
3. Wednesday, widespread showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs in the mid 70s to lower 80s. Wednesday night, cloudy, widespread showers and thunderstorms in the evening.
4. The University of New Mexico is looking to make its campus safer and will soon get a list of recommendations from students. Tuesday night, groups of students were given areas of campus to inspect during the university’s annual “Campus Safety Walk.” Students took note of what parts of campus lack good lighting, have poor signage or overgrown shrubs. The university promises to look into and fix the issues.
Full story: UNM students help make campus safer
5. A national article says the best tacos in New Mexico are at a restaurant in Albuquerque. Buzzfeed ranked “El Paisa Taqueria” on Bridge near La Vega as the number one spot based on their Yelp reviews. Customers raved about their barbacoa, asada and carnitas tacos.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Clovis police release lapel video of officer shooting
- Prominent University of New Mexico professor dies
- OSBI says human remains found near Interstate 40 identified
- Lapel video shows aftermath of airborne DWI crash
- Albuquerque YAFL coach arrested on team road-trip
- GOP faces choices on Zika, shutdown, impeaching IRS chief
- Clinton: He’s a national security danger. Trump: No, she is
- Judge grants partial stop on North Dakota pipeline work
- Newton on path toward Mexico’s border with Arizona
- Albuquerque students worried after ITT Tech to cease operations
- PayPal expands its partnership with Mastercard
- UNM professor, students create interactive game to teach energy conservation
- Albuquerque teen raises awareness against child abuse
- Netflix TV western series starts production in Santa Fe