Deputies recover stolen Camaro, other stolen property at South Valley home


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The case of a family’s stolen Camaro is solved — but it opened up a whole new can of worms for the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Department.

KRQE News 13 reported about the Michigan family traveling through Albuquerque who had everything stolen overnight, including their prized collector car.

Tuesday, deputies found that vintage 1981 Camaro and more stolen property at a house in the South Valley. Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Department said that after the story aired people in the neighborhood spotted the Camaro.

Last week, John Chicosky was making his move to Nevada when he stopped in Albuquerque. He was staying at the Holiday Inn near I-40 and Menaul. When he woke up thieves had made off with his U-Haul and the Camaro that was attached to it. Days later, police found the abandoned U-Haul just outside Albuquerque but Chicosky figured the 1981 Camaro was long gone. That was until Tuesday.

“The detective mentioned that they had recovered the Camaro and the dirt bike and that they were at a location where there was other stolen items in the house,” Chicosky said.

BCSO received a tip that the blue Camaro was “under a tarp” outside a house near Coors and Arenal. Detectives obtained a search warrant for the residence and when deputies arrived they found more than just the blue Camaro. According to the criminal complaint, they found two stolen cars, two motorcycles, a U-Haul trailer and 12 guns. Deputies also found drugs inside the home that tested positive for meth.

Also inside the home were 34-year-old Jessie Young and 29-year-old Jessica Romero. They were both taken into custody.

Young and Romero were booked on car theft related charges. Young is also charged for being a felon with a gun. According to court records, Young was charged with murder back in 2012, after two burned bodies were found in a torched SUV on the Pajarito Mesa.

Those murder charges were dismissed last year. According to the DA’s office, there was not “sufficient evidence at the time to pursue the case and obtain a good outcome at trial.” The DA’s office said it still has the right to re-file charges “when and if new or stronger evidence comes to light.”

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s