The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The brutality of Victoria Martens’ murder is the reason city and county leaders are set to hold a special meeting Tuesday to address child safety. Commissioner Debbie O’Malley and Councilor Klarissa Peña want to improve drug treatment, mental health and child abuse prevention services. They also want to fund more school resource officers and social workers to make sure more eyes are watching our kids. That meeting is set for 5 p.m.
2. The community will once again come together to remember 10-year-old Victoria Martens in a candlelight vigil at Civic Plaza. Two local organizations putting it on are asking guests to wear purple and bring candles. You can also bring balloons, flowers or stuffed animals that will be given to students at Victoria’s school. This comes one day after the Martens family thanked the community for all of its support and called for putting our children first.
3. Tuesday, partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70’s to lower 80’s. East winds 10 to 20 mph. Tuesday night, breezy and partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid to up 50’s. East winds 15 to 25 mph below canyons. Gusts up to 35 mph.
4. A woman says she’s been targeted twice at a Rail Runner parking lot. Now, she wants police to do more. Mary Phillips says two trucks of hers have been stolen from the Belen Rail Runner station in a matter of months. Belen police say they know the station attracts criminals, and they have beefed up patrols in the area. While there are cameras, they don’t capture everything.
Full story: Criminals target Rail Runner station in Belen
5. You can now experience Carlsbad Caverns like never before. As part of the National Parks Service 100th Anniversary Celebration, Google is launching a new feature, offering an inside look at Carlsbad Caverns and other national parks through virtual reality.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Albuquerque Rapid Transit construction to begin Tuesday
- Construction continues on interchange in Santa Fe
- FBI warns of possible state election-system hacks
- Hobbs residents cleaning up mess caused by flooding
- Brazil’s Rousseff defends self ahead of Senate’s ouster vote
- Report: Albuquerque Macy’s likely to close
- Downtown Albuquerque’s Imperial Building celebrates grand opening
- Albuquerque Sunport renovation will enhance look, efficiency
- Featured link: National Dog Day list of top dog names