The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Kids at Petroglyph Elementary will go to school without one of their classmates. KRQE News 13 has learned the 10-year-old girl who was killed attended school at Petroglyph. According to her godmother, the girl was supposed to celebrate her birthday on Wednesday. Police have yet to release her name, but friends who live nearby say she was a sweet girl who liked “Frozen,” loved school and loved life. There is also a growing memorial sitting outside of the apartment.
2. Three people are in custody for the brutal death of a 10-year-old Albuquerque girl. Police were called out to the girl’s northwest Albuquerque apartment around 4:30 Wednesday morning on a battery call and found the girl already dead. The girl’s mother Michelle Martens, her boyfriend Fabian Gonzales and Gonzales’ cousin Jessica Kelley are all expected to face charges in connection with the death.
3. Thursday, partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the 70’s to lower 80’s. Thursday night, partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid to upper 50’s.
4. Police are looking for two people who kidnapped three kids from California and left them at a motel in Grants. Police say the suspects are 22-year-old Brittany Humphrey and 27-year-old Joshua Robertson. The kids’ mother, Kimberly Harvill, was found dead on August 14th by a driver at a rest stop in Gorman, California. Brittany is Kimberley’s sister. No word if they’re still in New Mexico. Anyone with information is asked to call police.
5. The State Department of Transportation is holding a public meeting to talk about possible changes coming to a dangerous stretch of I-25 in Albuquerque. Officials are studying ways to improve I-25 from the Big-I to the Broadway exit.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Judge: Jury won’t hear all witness video audio in Sandy, Perez trial
- Italy toll rises to 247 as anguish mounts over quake past
- Tornadoes damage Indiana, but leave no one seriously hurt
- Police: 3 missing California kids found in New Mexico
- New Mexico sergeant arrested after lapel camera investigation
- Rapper Kirko Bangz attacked after allegedly badmouthing New Mexico rappers
- Last community policing council meeting happening Thursday
- New market opens in downtown Albuquerque