The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The Bernalillo County Commission could vote on putting the Albuquerque Rapid Transit project on the November ballot. The non-binding question would ask if voters support or oppose the controversial project. Several businesses and residents along Central say ART is going to hurt business and clog up the already busy street. The city says the opposoite. Even if voters say they don’t want ART, the mayor says the project will move forward.
2. Tuesday, partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the 80’s. Tuesday night, partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 50’s to lower 60’s.
3. Las Cruces police say the man shot and killed by officers Sunday was 36-year-old Juan Gabriel Torres. Police say Torres stole a truck from an elderly man. When they caught up to him, they say he stepped out of the stolen truck with a a knife in his hand, lunging toward officers. Police say he refused orders to drop the knife and that’s when officers opened fire, killing him. The officers’ names have not been released.
4. Police are asking for help finding a group of brazen bandits who broke into a garage, grabbing what they could before taking off. Surveillance video shows the group first breaking into the homeowner’s truck, then using a garage door opener left in the vehicle to get inside the house near Juan Tabo and Southern. The homeowner came out with a gun and the crooks were gone. The video shows one of the suspects also carrying a gun.
5. A man raising money for ALS put New Mexico on the map by stopping by Albuquerque Monday. Larry Kaplan’s goal is to travel all 50 states for state-specific bucket challenges, so instead of ice, he poured a bucket full of chile over his head when he stopped in New Mexico. Kaplan is onto his next stop, with only 14 more states to go.
Full story: Chile poured on man raising money for ALS
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Pizza 9 to donate all profits Tuesday to fallen officer’s family
- Internet restored at UNM after campus wide outage
- Enchanted Hills Elementary dismissed early after power failure
- Man pleads guilty to robbing bank in Albuquerque last year
- MDC continues search for private investigator
- Judge rules death-scene photos don’t violate privacy rights
- Central reopen after southeast Albuquerque hit-and-run
- White House says feds doing their part in flood response
- Widow of longtime Isotopes announcer behind the microphone
- Free entry to Carlsbad Caverns starts this week
- Extra crispy: KFC gives away chicken scented sunscreen