ESPANOLA, N.M. (KRQE) – Campaigning for Democratic hopeful Hillary Clinton, her husband and former president, Bill Clinton, stopped in Española on Tuesday to rally New Mexico voters.
Crowds started to gather hours before to hear the former president talk about why voters should elect Mrs. Clinton to be the next president.
This came just a week after Hillary Clinton’s Democratic opponent, Bernie Sanders, visited Santa Fe and Albuquerque.
Instead of focusing on her democratic opponent here before the June 7th primary, the campaign is already turning to what’s next.
Hundreds of people waited for hours to get close to the former president, but because it was outside, a crowd even formed along the perimeter, just to get a glimpse.
“I’m excited to be able to see him this close up, I mean it’s remarkable and I’m hoping to shake his hand,” said Colleen Olinger, a Clinton supporter, before the rally.
A long line of people in blue shirts, supporting Secretary Hillary Clinton, waited for about an hour, all excited and honored that former president Bill Clinton chose Española.
Bill Clinton took the stage at 6:30 p.m. and spoke for about 30 minutes.
He referred to Donald Trump, though not by name.
“Look, we are coming to the end of a long primary season and start of a tough general election… the answer is not walls but bridges,” said Clinton.
Former President Clinton says his wife supports raising the minimum wage, investing in infrastructure and focusing on clean energy.
After stepping down, people rushed to shake hands and take pictures. Watch video above.
Hillary Clinton has turned down a final debate against Bernie Sanders. Clinton is focused on beating republican candidate Donald Trump, saying she will be the democratic nominee.
Hillary Clinton and her democratic opponent, Bernie Sanders, both rallied in southern California on Tuesday.
There is no word yet if she’ll also make a trip to New Mexico herself.
The former president will be here in Albuquerque Wednesday afternoon. He will be speaking at the Alamosa Community Center at 12:45 p.m.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march through downtown Albuquerque
- Women go on strike in US to show their economic clout
- Anti-Trump camera exhibit catches concerning behavior
- Shia LaBeouf brings public exhibit from New York to Albuquerque
- New Mexicans rally for public lands, against new US House bill
- Udall gathers at Supreme Court to protest Trump travel ban
- Protesters fill Albuquerque Sunport against the President’s travel ban
- Immigrant advocates protest Trump’s immigration policies
- Group gathers in Albuquerque to protest Dakota Access Pipeline
- Thousands join Albuquerque rally on women’s rights
- Protesters gather in Albuquerque after Trump Inauguration
- Santa Fe police release lapel video from arrests made during anti-Trump protest
- UNM students protest Trump election with campus ‘walk out’
- Students at Albuquerque school protest Trump election
- Dakota Access Pipeline protesters rally together in Albuquerque
- ‘Not my president:’ Trump denounced in protests across US
- Anti-Trump protesters march for hours through Albuquerque
- Gary Johnson to host rally Saturday in Albuquerque
- Pence takes questions from voters at Albuquerque town hall
- Gary Johnson’s campaign announces new rally location