Tuesday’s Five Facts:
- Firefighters will be battling the wind as they work to fully contain a fire that’s already forced the cancellation of school in Ruidoso. The Moon Mountain Fire is currently about 175 acres burning above Gavilan Canyon. At last check it’s 30-percent contained. No evacuations have been ordered yet, but multiple agencies are expected to be back on the fire lines Tuesday morning.
- Tuesday, expect it to be mostly cloudy in the morning, which will then later become partly cloudy. Windy, patchy blowing dust in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 60’s to lower 70’s. Tuesday night, partly cloudy, windy. Isolated rain showers in the evening, then isolated rain and snow showers after midnight.
- On Tuesday morning, you can listen in on the county’s budget meetings. They won’t approve the budget, but they’re set to discuss each department’s needs and wants. The budget is tight this year and has been for a while, but with reserves dwindling, some commissioners say it’s time for serious cuts. You can weigh in at the end of the presentation, which starts Tuesday at 9 a.m.
- A heads-up for drivers who use the Louisiana Interchange at I-40, the eastbound off-ramp is now closed. Crews shut down the ramp at midnight for the next 30 days. This is the second major phase in the project to help ease heavy traffic and also repair crumbling cracks in the ground. DOT is asking drivers to use back roads during the month-long closure.
- Hungry Californians are now able to sample a taste of New Mexico. Three native New Mexicans recently opened a food truck in Los Angeles called “505 Food Truck L.A.” and the dishes showcase either red or green chile. They have family bringing them sacks of chile to stay stocked up.
Top Morning Headlines:
UFC fighter Jon “Bones” Jones, who trains in Albuquerque, has had another run-in with the law. Albuquerque Police say Jones was drag racing in the downtown area last Thursday. They released lapel camera video of Jones being pulled over. In the video, Jones argues repeatedly with the officer that he wasn’t racing. Last week, Jones pleaded no contest to several traffic violations in citations written on January 31.
A teenage boy has been arrested in the theft of a fiberglass and metal model of a spaceship from outside the UFO Museum in Roswell. The model was being stored behind the museum for repairs when it was stolen earlier this month. Police are still looking for two other suspects.