Preventing pets from being poisoned

Courtesy: WNCT

GREENVILLE, NC (WNCT) – During National Animal Poison Prevention Week, veterinarians are educating pet owners about what’s poisonous to pets.

Medications, certain foods, and cleaning products are often not safe for pets. In fact, most pet poison cases come from common household items.

“The other big thing is xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener that is put in a lot of kind of diet products,” said Dr. Anne Eldridge, Veterinarian, Firetower Animal Clinic. “It makes us able to eat things that we like that are sweet, that are lower in calorie, but they can be incredibly toxic again to dogs primarily.”

Be especially careful of dark chocolate and grapes when around dogs. Tylenol and lily flowers can be deadly to cats if ingested.

When an animal is poisoned, the symptoms often vary, depending on the substance. If you suspect your pet was poisoned, and it’s vomiting, not eating, lethargic, or not acting normal, call your vet immediately. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s