The 5 Facts You Need to Know:
- A 3-year-old boy from Los Lunas, is safe this morning after an endangered child alert was issued for him yesterday. His mother is now being investigated after authorities say they found obvious signs of abuse. The boy, Kenneth, was last seen with the mom’s boyfriend, Nicholas Vallejos. No word if Vallejos will face charges.
- The wrongful death civil lawsuit against Dylan Redwine’s father, Mark, has been tossed out because it was filed past the statute of limitations. Dylan’s mother filed it, saying she wanted some sort of justice for her son who was found dead near his dad’s home after disappearing during a visit. Mark is still a person of interest in the criminal case.
- Today will be mostly sunny with highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s. Tonight is expected to be clear with lows dropping between the 30s to lower 40s.
- UNM students are concerned they could see a rise in tuition and fees next year. The proposed budget, yet to be approved by lawmakers, includes a $19.5 million cut in state funding for higher education.
- Albuquerque UFC Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm is responding to Ronda Rousey’s stunning admission to feeling suicidal after losing to Holm back in November. Holm says she’s not glad that she felt that way, she’s not apologizing and says this will make Rousey stronger mentally. Rousey made the admission during an appearance on Ellen. On the recently released YouTube video, Holm also talks about her upcoming fight with Miesha Tate.
Top Morning Headlines:
U.S. House republicans are now investigating Planned Parenthood clinics and other abortion providers, including ones here in New Mexico. Documents from Stem Express, a company that supplies fetal tissue from abortion clinics to researchers have been subpoenaed. This includes the University of New Mexico and Southwest Women’s Options, which provides abortions in New Mexico and Texas. The subpoena is asking for info on the people gathering the tissue, where it came from and where it went. A top democrat says the subpoena is unjust, saying republicans want to build a database that could risk privacy and safety.
I-40 westbound at 98th Street is back open in time after a crash involving nearly 50 people. Bernalillo County deputies say at around 8:30 last night there was a three-vehicle crash near Atrisco Vista, involving a bus from the Albuquerque Rescue Mission. Investigators say a truck rear-ended the bus and a small car rear-ended the truck. People inside the truck and car were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Everyone else involved was treated at the scene. Deputies say it appears alcohol was a factor in the crash.