Generals say women should have to register for draft

Ray Mabus
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus Jr. waits in a committee ante room on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016, prior to testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing to examine the implementation of the decision to open all ground combat units to women. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top Army and Marine Corps generals say they believe all women should have to register for the draft now that combat jobs are open to them.

The military service leaders say they will not lower standards to bring women into the more grueling jobs. They told the Senate Armed Services Committee that it will take up to three years before the combat posts are fully integrated.

Army Gen. Mark Milley and Marine Gen. Robert Neller said women should be included in the requirement to register for the selective service at age 18. But Navy Secretary Ray Mabus and Army Acting Secretary Patrick Murphy would say only that the issue should be discussed.

Political leaders have so far been reluctant to endorse the draft requirement.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s