ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – It’s a dangerous game with a high risk of going wrong, but that didn’t stop a group of Albuquerque kids from trying it for themselves.
Officials with Albuquerque Public Schools say a seventh grader at Jackson Middle was rushed to the hospital after playing the “California Pass-Out Game” with friends in the school’s bathroom. The district says the student hit their head after passing out from the game.
“That could be my child,” said Amanda Green.
Green has a sixth grader at Jackson Middle.
“I love him to pieces so it’s hard to even think about,” said Green.
Yet, this game is nothing new. You can find the videos all over Youtube, teens making themselves hyperventilate before a friend either chokes them or pushes on their chest. The lack of oxygen is supposed to create a feeling of euphoria, but at what cost?
82 people under the age of 20 died from the game between 1995 and 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Doctors say the game can actually stop your heart and send you into cardiac arrest. When kids get a friend to push on their chest, doctors say it can cause your pulse and blood pressure to drop even more.
“Why on Earth would you subject yourself to passing out?” questioned George James.
James has a seventh grader at Jackson. While he agrees the news is alarming, he says he’s confident his child knows better.
“I’m concerned, but I just asked my son and he feels he’s not that stupid,” said James.
APS officials say they did follow up with seventh grade parents at Jackson Middle. They say they are not aware of problems at any other schools.