Tuesday’s Five Facts-
- Newly released video shows how three APD officers missed a loaded gun hidden on a suspect’s waistband. It was a stolen car arrest. Officers searched Jacob Piggot twice, but didn’t find the gun. Video even shows him at the jail with his handcuffs off still with the loaded gun hidden. It wasn’t until Piggot stepped through a metal detector that the gun was discovered and he was quickly handcuffed. All three officers were retrained and disciplined.
- APS police will review video Tuesday morning as part of their investigation into a possible kidnapping Monday at Eldorado High School. APS said there are reports of a man forcing a girl into his car on campus – then taking off and eventually releasing her unharmed in a nearby neighborhood. The vehicle is described as a newer model blue sedan. The man is described as white, in his 30’s, with dark hair.
- Today expect skies to be mostly sunny. Highs in the lower to mid-80’s. Tonight will be mostly clear, lows in the mid to upper 40’s.
- Police are looking for a pair of thieves caught on camera breaking into cars in Rio Rancho. One homeowner near Unser and Southern captured one suspect rummaging through a truck then trying to get into other cars. The video then shows a woman with him.
- A trick shot by the managers of the Lobo men’s basketball team landed them on national TV Sunday night on America’s Funniest videos. The show put out a call for America’s Top Trick Shots. The group responded with this waterfall-like trick.
Top Morning Headlines
Jury selection is expected to wrap in the child molestation trial of a former APS Deputy Superintendent. Police said Jason Martinez sexually assaulted two children in Colorado in 2013. Former Superintendent Luis Valentino lost his job after hiring Martinez this summer. Martinez never completed a district background check and was not supposed to leave Colorado.
U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich will be in Mora recognizing the high school. Mora high school is among one of the best schools in the country. The school was named a blue ribbon school for its success closing the achievement gap. Only 285 public schools across the country were chosen.