ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Community members in the South Valley are scrambling to put on its annual Dia De Los Muertos parade without a big portion of funding they usually receive from the county.
Art Director for the parade, Vanessa Alvarado, said county commissions made them aware they’d have to do without the funding for their event this year.
“This year we lost about $12,000 in funding,” Alvarado said. “The county has reallocated stuff and prioritized other programs, but that really leaves us in jeopardy.”
The committee of community volunteers said the money goes toward lighting, traffic control, street permits and shuttling services. Services they’re afraid they may have to do without this year.
Alvarado said it comes down to public safety and that’s the group’s biggest concern.
“Now all these things have been affected so the loss of funding makes it hard for the parade to be safe for the public,” she said.
The group created a GoFundMe account to try and make up for some of the lost funds.
“This is by the people and for the people,” Alvarado said. “We’re asking for our community to help us if they want this to continue.”
This year’s parade will take place November 1. Alvarado said the group held an emergency meeting Monday and has decided to start a campaign in order to save the event.
“We don’t want to see this event go away completely, so we have to figure out other ways to fund it,” Alvarado said.
The county said it faced a budget challenge last year and had to cut back funding.
A spokesperson for the county said a funding source that commissioners received was taken away this year. That source used to go to help support community projects like this one.