Frustrating ordeal for man looking for Albuquerque police crash report

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – David Johnson has enjoyed driving around his new Mazda CX-5 for the past few months, but for the last few weeks he’s been stuck with a big eyesore.

The story starts September 17, when Johnson is driving to his in-laws on I-40. As he’s getting ready to get off at the Eubank Boulevard exit, the traffic in front of him slows down because of some debris in the road. Johnson hits the brakes, but the woman behind him keeps coming and plows into his SUV.

Nobody was hurt, but there was some significant damage to Johnson’s car and the woman’s car had to be towed. An Albuquerque police officer came out to the scene and took the information needed for a report. Johnson was told to expect the report in five to seven business days.

“I thought it would be turned around in a couple of weeks, from the report, to the body shop,” Johnson said. “It’s an accident report, it’s pretty simple.”

It was not so simple as he soon found out. Johnson called APD on September 24 but was told the report wasn’t ready. Johnson says he needed it to get his car fixed, so he kept calling. Follow-up calls on September 28, 29, and 30 as well as October 1st and 5th were unsuccessful as well.

That’s when Johnson tried to get the mayor’s office involved. A day after calling city hall for help, the officer himself called Johnson back on October 7, saying he had written the report back in September but it hadn’t been approved by his supervisor yet.

When he still didn’t have the report on Monday, he called the mayor’s office and APD again. When that didn’t work, he sent an email to the mayor and APD Chief Gorden Eden. That email earned him a response from Eden.

“I will look into this matter tomorrow morning,” Eden wrote.

KRQE News 13 also started asking APD about it Tuesday morning. By about 2:45 p.m., the officer hand-delivered the report to Johnson’s office with an apology.

Johnson says there wasn’t really a clear explanation behind what happened.

An APD spokesperson says the slow response is “not the norm” for the department when it comes to these kinds of accident reports and that the department apologizes for any inconvenience caused. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s