Tuesday’s Five Facts-
- Parents plan to protest at CYFD again Tuesday. They’re upset with how the state is handling the case of a daycare worker accused of abusing an infant. The Eastern Child Development Center is closed after the state pulled its license during the investigation. Supporters said the school did everything right and the closure leaves people without childcare and jobs. CYFD said it can’t comment on an open investigation. The employee has not been charged and the baby is okay.
- The City of Albuquerque is about to re-do an expensive bridge lighting project. It will replace the blue lights on the Bear Canyon arroyo bridge near I-25 and Osuna. It will cost about $210,000. The city said they weren’t water proofed the first time around.
- Today expect things to be cloudy, with highs in the mid-80’s to lower 90’s. Tonight things will be partly cloudy lows in the mid-50’s to lower 60’s.
- The postal service is investigating a possible mailbox bombing in a Rio Rancho neighborhood. U.S. Postal investigators tell us the explosion was caused by a device, but wouldn’t go into detail. Neighbors said investigators told them it was a homemade bomb
- We’re getting a closer look at the official poster for this year’s International Balloon Fiesta. Artist Victoria de Almeida titled it “Coming Together”, reflecting the gathering of different cultures in the state for the big celebration.
Top Morning Headlines
It’s a term you might have heard, but do you know what it means. A new poll shows many parents don’t know what cyberbullying actually is. C.S. Mott children’s hospital polled parents. While 63% of them said posting rumors about a classmate having sex qualifies, only 43% agree that posting rumors about a student cheating is cyberbullying. Researchers said parents also disagree about punishments for online bullying.
Jon “Bones” Jones is expected to appear in court Tuesday. The popular UFC fighter was arrested back in April after police said he caused a crash that hurt a pregnant woman then took off. Since the incident, the UFC stripped Jones of his light heavyweight title and suspended him indefinitely.
At last check the D.A. said it is still waiting for evidence before taking the hit and run case to the grand jury.