The 5 Facts You Need to Know
- A man is in custody after leading police on a bizarre chase into a rushing arroyo. Police said he was driving a stolen truck and threatened them with a knife. Cell phone video shows officers using bean-bag rounds then chasing him down into the rushing water near manual and Morris, as he tried to run.Officers pulled him out. His name hasn’t been released yet, but APD says he is undergoing a mental evaluation.
- Today will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs are expected to be in the mid-70s to lower 80s. Tonight is expect to be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms
- Heavy rain led to flooded streets in the metro and in Roswell. Tractors were called in to clear debris.Sky news 13 saw the Hondo River spilling its banks and flooding a nearby park. This video shows streets totally under water. Police say they stayed busy rescuing stranded drivers.
- Some APS parents are concerned that the school district didn’t clean up racist and obscene graffiti fast enough. The damage happened at Pajarito elementary in the South Valley, over the weekend. Parents noticed the offensive symbols on a wall near the playground, Monday morning. They said they complained but it was still there later that afternoon. APS says they didn’t get the request from the school until Monday afternoon, so they sent a crew out first thing Tuesday.
- A happy update to a story we first told you about last week. A KRQE viewer gave this 95-year-old Albuquerque woman a new I-pad. Lilly Horowitz’s was stolen last week out of her son’s car at a Rio Rancho shopping center. The device is important to her because it lets her face-time her deaf sister who lives in New York, their only means of communication.
Top Morning Headlines
A New Mexico teen is in trouble after he was accused of leading authorities on a high speed chase. Video shows the 13-year-old boy in a stolen a truck, going up to 100 miles per hour Tuesday morning. Torrance county sheriff, heath white says the boy just happened to fly past him in Moriarty. White says the teen refused to stop and led him on a 15 minute chase on main street and I-40. He says the boy dodged through traffic spun around in the vehicle, and clipped two people.The two men he clipped are okay. The sheriff says the driver tried losing him by driving through an open field. The truck broke down and he was arrested.
An APD officer is recovering after a rough foot chase. Police tell us it started after 9 last night when officers noticed a red car driving erratically near central and 57th. Officers said when they tried stopping the car, the driver took off, speeding through residential neighborhoods. When they were able to stop the car, a woman in the back claimed she’d been car jacked and kidnapped. As officers were helping her the driver allegedly tried taking off through a fence. That’s when the foot chase happened and an officer hurt his leg. He is expected to be ok. Police say the woman took back her kidnapping claims and is charged with false reporting. No word on exact charges for the driver.