ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Albuquerque city officials are now answering allegations of a community center making a worker sick.
As News 13 reported Wednesday, a now former Manzano Mesa employee has been diagnosed with a respiratory illness. He believes it’s a result of mold in the building which formed after repeated water leaks caused by a bad roof.
He claims the city didn’t respond to the problems until years later, putting employees and community members’ health at risk.
The Director of Albuquerque Senior Affairs, Jorja Armijo, assured News 13 that the facility is safe.
“I think it’s just important to know our priority is health and wellbeing of citizens and employees and we can do that. We have been working to do that,” said Armijo-Brasher. “We have had team of experts who have helped us to do that and so I think we have taken all steps necessary to feel comfortable in this building.”
The city says while mold was found, experts determined it was not at dangerous levels.
They say the roof has now been repaired and interior repairs are underway.