The 5 Facts You Need to Know
- Albuquerque police are investigating the death of a man who was found on the steps of the Faith Lutheran Church in the heights, after possibly shooting himself. Later, police were called to another shooting near Montgomery and Eubank. A man is in critical condition after police say someone found him inside a car with gunshot injuries.
Police aren’t saying yet of the calls are connected.
- We’re expecting to hear new details about a home invasion in southeast Albuquerque.Residents say three armed men broke into an older couple’s home, yesterday morning in the Volterra subdivision, tied them up, pistol-whipped them, and took valuable items. While police haven’t confirmed the reports, the neighborhood association says it’s an active investigation.
- Today will be partly cloudy with a chance for isolated thunderstorms. Highs are expected to be in the lower to mid 90s.
- Albuquerque public schools is searching for a new deputy superintendent today. Jason Martinez, who was just hired for that post, is stepping down after two months on the job. Martinez says he’s resigning for personal and family commitments, but this comes just days after an NM Political Report revealed emails, showing a dispute Martinez had with chief financial officer Don Moya over what company should do an IT assessment of the district.
Martinez was making $163,000 dollars per year.
- The City of Albuquerque is installing a new type of traffic signal, designed to make it easier for people to cross the street. It’s expected to go in at Lomas and Alvarado in the next couple weeks. It lets anyone on foot stop traffic at the push of a button.
Top Morning Headlines
It’s the fight New Mexico fans and others have hoped for. Holly Holm will get her shot at UFC Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. An annoucement about the fight was made this morning. holm will meet Rousey january second of 2016 at the MGM Grand arena in Las Vegas, NV. Holm has an undefeated 9 and oh record as an MMA Pro. Rousey is also perfect at 12 and oh. Holm is currently in New York working on a movie with MMA fighters Meisha Tate and Cristiane Justino also known as Cyborg.
Some of the smoky haze that’s blown into New Mexico is expected to clear up today. Yesterday the Environmental Health Department issued an air quality notification with all the haze outside. The haze is being caused by the massive wildfires burning in Washington, Oregon, and California. The wind has pushed the smoke into New Mexico.