ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The family of a teenage girl who died from a drug overdose after a foam party on the state fairgrounds is now suing.
The parents of Hannah Bruch are blaming the state and others for her death.
Bruch, 14, died after taking the pure form of ecstasy known as “Molly.” She then attended the event which was supposed to be for those 16 and older.
In this lawsuit filed this week, Bruch’s parents are suing Expo New Mexico, the concert promoters, the event security company and paramedics who were at the event.
“Foam Wonderland” happened back in August 2013. According to the lawsuit, Bruch took ecstasy in the parking lot of Expo New Mexico.
Her family claims she shouldn’t have even been let into the party because she was 14. The lawsuit claims security never asked Hannah for identification.
They also claim once Hannah started feeling sick, paramedics made her wait 15 minutes to be checked. She died just hours later at the hospital.
Bruch’s family believes the event should have had better trained staff and that the state should have known about the drug culture often associated with rave-events.
The family is seeking punitive damages, but the lawsuit doesn’t say how much.
Expo New Mexico released a statement saying they haven’t seen the lawsuit and that medical staff took quick action the night Bruch died.
The state has not allowed similar parties at the fairgrounds since her death.