The 5 Facts You Need to Know
- Two parents are accused of throwing fireworks at a homeless man and burning him badly. Video shows it happen near Highland High School nearly two weeks ago. Joshua Benavidez, 31, and 31-year-old Irene Enriquez are also charged with child abuse, because police say their kids were in the SUV. Police said Benavidez repeatedly denied having anything to do with the crime, but his 10-year-old talked. Authorities say the parents have now confessed.
- Police said a Santa Fe health care worker is accused of stealing from people she was supposed to be helping. Surveillance video from Kingston Residence assisted living facility shows Burgan Pena, a hospice nurse assistant, working with an outside company sneaking into rooms. Detectives said she stole cash, collectibles, jewelry, and medication. She’s charged with multiple counts of burglary.
- Today will be partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs are expected to reach the lower to mid 90s.
- A Craigslist post, asking for $30 for a lost dog, stirred some serious backlash online. Lyndsay Rains said she found a Craiglist post from someone who found a dog in the South Valley . There was something extra though, a so called a “re-homing fee”. The woman who posted the ad told KRQE News 13 that the money was to cover food for the dog. Animal welfare said this isn’t illegal, but doesn’t condone it.
- A program that helps fathers with criminal records get back on their feet, is proving successful. PB and J family services hosts a paid training program at Roadrunner Food Bank. Roadrunner then helps the candidates get jobs. Participants say it helps them become better dads.
Top Morning Headlines
An alleged gun thief is in jail, after a series of carjackings. Police said Thomas Martinez pulled off a carjacking near University and Menaul yesterday then, stopped and took another car near a dealership on Lomas, with a person still inside. Police said an APD officer was run over, as he tried to stop Martinez and save the hostage. The hostage was able to escape, that’s when police say he pushed an 83-year-old woman from her Cadillac. When a good samaritan blocked him in with his car, Martinez crashed into a tree. Police did find a gun on Martinez. He was arrested and charged with armed robbery, kidnapping, and aggravated looting.
Police are looking for a gunman who shot and killed a teen. Roswell police said someone shot and killed 19-year-old Dominik Finch outside a home yesterday afternoon. Police are now trying to figure out why the shooting happened and who the shooter is.