New Mexico corrections halts halfway house connection

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (AP) – The New Mexico Department of Corrections says it will no longer send female inmates to a halfway house named in a sexual-assault lawsuit.

Corrections spokeswoman Alex Tomlin said Monday the agency officially is ending its relationship with New Life Recovery House in Alamogordo out of safety concerns.

The move comes after three women last year sued a New Mexico motel owner and the director of the halfway house, saying they were repeatedly sexually assaulted at work and threated with being sent back to prison when they complained.

The Corrections Department pulled 31 women out of the New Life Recovery House in October after the allegations surfaced.

New Life Recovery owner Vickie Clark says a former contractor named in the lawsuit no longer is affiliated with the house. She says allegations made against the center were later dismissed.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s