State announces record tourism numbers for 2014

Rio Grande
Rio Grande (Carey Olson KRQE)

ALBUQUERQUE (AP) – New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez has announced close to 33 million visited the state last year, making it a record-breaking year for tourism.

Martinez said Monday that half a million more people visited New Mexico than in 2013 and credited the state’s New Mexico True campaign. The campaign features the state’s famous outdoor locations and New Mexico celebrities, such as mixed-martial arts fighter Carlos Condit.

In 2014, officials say the New Mexico True campaign helped lead to an all-time high in marketable overnight trips, or vacations, with a 40.6 percent increase since 2010. The additional visits added 2,200 jobs to the state last year.

Tourism Department Cabinet Secretary Rebecca says an advertising budget increase allowed the state to aggressively pursue those types of trips.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s