David Sweat in critical but stable condition in Albany hospital

David Sweat
FILE - This May 21, 2015, file photo released by the New York State Police shows David Sweat. Sweat, the second of two convicted murderers who staged a brazen escape from an upstate maximum-security prison three weeks ago, was shot and captured Sunday, June 28, 2015, two days after his fellow inmate was killed in a confrontation with law enforcement officers, a sheriff said. (New York State Police via AP, File)

ALBANY, N.Y. (WIVB/WTEN) – Escaped inmate David Sweat is listed in critical condition at Albany Medical Center.

Sweat is in a secure area of the hospital, where all members of the staff are trained to handle these types of emergency situations.

He was transported to Albany because the hospital has a contract with the Department of Corrections.

The hospital held a press conference late Sunday and said Sweat will likely be at the hospital for a few days.

Doctors say, that he is a “high profile patient,” but they are treating him the same as every patient that needs their help.

Dennis McKenna, Medical Director at Albany Medical Center said, “When you deviate from how you would care from those patients, you’re setting yourself up to do things you’re not used to doing. The difference in this case is the coordination of the non-medical pieces, the security, of course, being paramount, to be sure that we have the situation controlled and that we’re able to provide the care in a way that’s safe for not only our staff, but for everyone around us.”

They can’t say if there are bullets in him, only that he is in critical condition.

Richard Matt’s body brought to Albany

The body of escaped convict Richard Matt will be studied in the Capital Region.

Matt’s body was transported to Albany Medical Center on Saturday where an autopsy was performed. An official briefing ABC News said Matt appeared to be acting intoxicated at the time he was shot.

The convicted murderer was also reportedly in bad health before the encounter with a border patrol SWAT team.

The autopsy determined Matt’s caused of death to be severe skull fractures and brain injuries due to gunshot wounds to the head.

An examination of the body revealed bug bites on the lower extremities, blisters and minor abrasions consistent with living in the woods for three weeks.

A preliminary investigation revealed a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Tactical Unit member discharged several rounds from a semi-automatic weapon striking Matt in the head three times, according to the New York State Police.

Toxicology results are pending.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s