The 5 Facts You Need to Know
- Many people are talking about video which shows an Albuquerque police officer saving a baby. The quick-thinking officer caught the entire thing on his lapel camera. 7-month-old Karly had stopped breathing. Seconds after Officer Martin Smith was called to the home, he started CPR. Not to long after, Karly slowly started responding.
Many are now calling the officer a hero.
- A former APS teacher, who raped a 16-year-old student, won’t spend any time behind bars. Patrick Matthews, who taught at volcano vista high school, pled guilty to 19 counts of rape. A judge gave him a 30-year sentence, but suspended it. The D.A’s office said it made a deal because the victim refused to cooperate.Matthews is also required to register as a sex offender.
- Today will be mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Highs are expected to reach the 80s to lower 90s.
- Bob Turner, a name and a face many New Mexicans knew, has died. The car dealership owner with the signature phrase “that’s no bull” passed away after a long illness. He managed Rich Ford for several years. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 at Copper Pointe Church.
- A New Mexico photographer is capturing images of the roadrunner, you may have never seen. 90-year-old World War II veteran, Dan True, said his passion is photographing wildlife. He set up cameras to capture the state bird in its next among other places. True is making a documentary of his findings.
Top Morning Headlines
Investigators are hoping a critical clue will lead them right to a killer. It may lie inside the victim’s car. Deputies said 22-year old Jared Clark’s car was at an apartment complex on Indian School. Clark was shot to death and found in the middle of the road Sunday, near bridge and five points. Deputies will now search the car looking for the suspect’s DNA. A man was last seen in the car. Investigators are trying to figure out who he is.
An MDC guard, accused of raping an inmate, is locked up. Jail officials said 30-year old Jeremy Bowman admitted to a “possible” relationship with a former inmate. They said he also admitted he had been involved with a number of female inmates. He’s charged with 10 counts of rape and is being held without bond. This comes after the arrest of another guard Enock Arvizo, in April, who is also accused of rape.