The 5 Facts You Need to Know
- The feds are stepping in now to keep career criminals locked up longer. This comes after the recent shooting death of Rio Rancho Officer Gregg Benner, who police said was killed by repeat offender Andrew Romero. The U.S Attorney’s Office is expanding its “worst of the worst” program which keeps an eye on repeat offenders, so if they offend again they can slap federal charges on them. They’re also hiring a liaison to specifically work with police and prosecutors.
- The case against Synthia Varela Casaus, the Albuquerque mom who is accused of kicking her son to death, is now on hold. A judge now wants to make sure she’s competent to stand trial for the death of 9-year-old Omaree Varela. If she’s deemed incompetent, she could be sent to a mental hospital.
- Today will be sunny with highs in the upper 80s to mid 90s. Southwest winds will reach between 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
- According to the Santa Fe New Mexican the city’s water division sent out bills this month with Santa Fe spelled… S-a-n-t-e. It’s unclear how it happened or who is responsible.
- Some billboards in Albuquerque have a lot of people talking. One in particular reads ” green chile from the ghetto”. Some people online are wondering if its a campaign against downtown growth. Students with a non-profit arts organization made the signs and say its just art that’s meant to ignite discussion.
Top Morning Headlines
A woman is in jail after she was accused of hitting a police officer with her car. They said they were tracking Briana Keck in a stolen car, and tried to pull her over at the Savers on Carlisle and Menaul. Police said Keck tried to get away hit an officer with the car then crashed into a patrol car. The officer is okay. Police eventually arrested her at a hotel on University.
A man is critically injured after a shooting in Albuquerque. Police said last night, they were called to the intersection of San Pedro and Central by an anonymous tipster. When they got there they found the 26-year-old man, whose name hasn’t been released, bleeding from a gun shot wound to the chest. He was taken to UNM Hospital in critical condition. Police are asking anyone who might have information that can help in the investigation to call 242-cops.