NEW YORK (AP) — Apple said it is recalling its Beats Pill XL speakers after a customer reported getting burned when it overheated.
There were eight reports of the speaker’s battery overheating, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday. One person’s finger was burned and another reported damage to a desk.
Apple said customers can apply for a $325 refund on its website. They can also elect to receive Apple Store credit for the same amount. Apple, based in Cupertino, California, said it will send customers boxes for free to return the speakers.
About 222,000 of the speakers are in the U.S., and 11,000 are in Canada, the CPSC said. They were sold at Apple’s stores and websites starting in January 2014. It was also sold at other retailers.
Beats, which also makes headphones and has a streaming music service, was bought last year by Apple Inc. for $3 billion.