ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Seniors at an Albuquerque high school whose plans for an unusual prom theme sparked interest and criticism from around the country have landed on a new prom theme: Prom.
It’s their way of taking back ownership of their prom theme, after the suggestion of a communism connotation created a backlash they weren’t anticipating.
“I think a ‘prom-themed prom’ is a unique take on a stereotypical, fun time – a rite of passage for all high schoolers,” said senior Dylan Yarbrough.
After KRQE News 13 reported that students at Cottonwood Classical Preparatory School voted on “Prom-munism” as the theme for their spring formal dance, news traveled fast.
Some headlines pointed out the irony of the theme: “Students democratically pick communism-themed prom.”
Others couldn’t resist the many prom-communism mash-up jokes available.
“Twerking is the opiate for the masses,” wrote Carl Williot on MTV.com. “Perhaps they just want to pool resources so they can get a bulk discount on dresses and tuxes (all red, of course)?”
Others were outraged. According to head administrator Sam Obenshain, some of the emails the school received were threatening.
He says students never intended to make light of the atrocities committed under communist regimes.
“Some people felt like even the choice of the theme, ‘prom-munism,’ was intended to make light of atrocities that were brought about because of the communist regimes. That was never our students intent.”
Exactly what the students were going for with the prom-munism theme depends on which student you talk to. They do agree on one thing.
“We, of course, never meant to make light anyone’s experiences,” said senior Jody Baylet.
More Strange & Odd stories
- Balloon Fiesta lost and found reveals unusual items left behind - Balloon Fiesta staff wants people reclaim some of the unlikely items left behind over the past two weeks.
- Armijo Elementary School cancels Halloween party for students - Armijo Elementary is saying no to a Halloween parade this year, no to parties in the classrooms, and no costumes allowed. Students and paren…
- Albuquerque woman places sign in yard to catch drivers’ attention - Residents in one Albuquerque neighborhood say they’re tired of drivers speeding down their road, so one neighbor is hoping a sign in the fro…
- Spooky decor at government office causes unlikely reaction - With Halloween just around the corner, you can expect to see some gory and over the top displays. However, you might not expect it in a gove…
- Albuquerque mom accused of cheering daughter on in middle school fight; caught in more lies - The mom who was arrested for cheering on her daughter in a fight at school is in trouble again.