ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Seniors at an Albuquerque high school whose plans for an unusual prom theme sparked interest and criticism from around the country have landed on a new prom theme: Prom.
It’s their way of taking back ownership of their prom theme, after the suggestion of a communism connotation created a backlash they weren’t anticipating.
“I think a ‘prom-themed prom’ is a unique take on a stereotypical, fun time – a rite of passage for all high schoolers,” said senior Dylan Yarbrough.
After KRQE News 13 reported that students at Cottonwood Classical Preparatory School voted on “Prom-munism” as the theme for their spring formal dance, news traveled fast.
Some headlines pointed out the irony of the theme: “Students democratically pick communism-themed prom.”
Others couldn’t resist the many prom-communism mash-up jokes available.
“Twerking is the opiate for the masses,” wrote Carl Williot on MTV.com. “Perhaps they just want to pool resources so they can get a bulk discount on dresses and tuxes (all red, of course)?”
Others were outraged. According to head administrator Sam Obenshain, some of the emails the school received were threatening.
He says students never intended to make light of the atrocities committed under communist regimes.
“Some people felt like even the choice of the theme, ‘prom-munism,’ was intended to make light of atrocities that were brought about because of the communist regimes. That was never our students intent.”
Exactly what the students were going for with the prom-munism theme depends on which student you talk to. They do agree on one thing.
“We, of course, never meant to make light anyone’s experiences,” said senior Jody Baylet.
More Strange & Odd stories
- Traveling father-son duo use black light to find bed covered in stains at local chain hotel - A father-son duo traveling through New Mexico documented their road trip with a video blog, including scenic trips to White Sands and the Ca…
- New Mexico politician unapologetic for inappropriate online comments - A local New Mexico politician is getting called out for comments he made on Facebook. The County Commissioner had an exchange on Facebook wi…
- Thieves steal two rare birds from Albuquerque pet store - The manager at a local pet store says thieves stole two rare and beloved birds, and now she's pleading for their return.
- Albuquerque man tries to beg his way out of trouble - An Albuquerque man faced a judge on Saturday after shutting down a major road, earlier in the week, when police say he tried to run away fro…
- Albuquerque elementary school teacher arrested for criminal sexual contact of a minor - An Albuquerque elementary school teacher is behind bars after being accused of inappropriately touching a 16-year old boy in a Belen gym loc…