News Briefs: City withdraws gag order motion in Boyd lawsuit

James Boyd shooting
APD officer Rick Ingram, pictured at right, points the yellow-colored Taser X12 shotgun at James Boyd on March 16, 2014. The shotgun had been discontinued nearly two years prior.

City withdraws gag order motion in Boyd lawsuit

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The city and the Albuquerque Police Department have done an about face in the James Boyd case. KRQE News 13 confirmed the city has withdrawn a motion that sought to put a gag order on the Boyd lawsuit to keep the lawyers representing Boyd’s family from talking about the case outside of court.

The family filed a civil lawsuit after Boyd who was camping illegally in the foothills was shot and killed by APD back in March. The city says it was worried about pre-trial publicity but now says it’s come to an agreement on the motion with the lawyers representing Boyd.

Santa Fe police seek theft suspect

SANTA FE (KRQE) – Police have identified the suspect caught on camera stealing a money jar for kids. Police are looking for 28-year old Fernando Sena.

Fernando Sena
Fernando Sena

They say he’s the man seen on surveillance video taking a jar full of cash from the Candyman Strings and Things Music Store earlier this month. The donations were to help kids go to summer music camp.  Police say he has his last name tattooed on the back of his neck.

There is a reward for his arrest. KRQE News 13 checked his criminal history and found that he’s been in trouble before for stealing and drugs.

DA: Not enough evidence to charge former APS police chief

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The DA will not prosecute the now-former Albuquerque Public Schools police chief accused of stealing ammo from his department. The DA’s office says there’s not enough evidence to charge Steve Tellez who was fired as APS’ police chief in March after the accusations surfaced. The DA also says there were too many people who had access to the room at the APS police department where the boxes of bullets were stolen to prove it was Tellez.

Smoke, flames engulf ABQ building

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Firefighters extinguished a commercial building blaze Tuesday afternoon. The Albuquerque Fire Department says firefighters responded to the 8400 block of Osuna Road NE and could see smoke and flames coming from the roof and upper floor of a two-story building. The blaze was quickly put out and no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire has not been determined.

I-25 SB at Gibson reopens after crash

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Interstate 25 southbound at Gibson has reopened following a crash. No injuries have been reported at this time. The cause of the crash is unknown.

Soda can helps police ID suspected thief

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Police say a burglar made himself right at home in someone’s Tanoan home. They say Ramon Herrera stole $250,000 worth of jewelry from the home last month.

Police say he also helped himself to a can of soda then left a note behind saying he was “sorry”. Police collected DNA from the soda can which came back to Herrera.

Woman pleads guilty to child abuse charges

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – News 13 has learned an Albuquerque mother has pleaded guilty to child abandonment and other charges. Annette Martinez’s 2-year-old son nearly died after he swallowed toxic levels of methadone.

It happened last year after the boy was found unresponsive. Martinez and her husband Anthony both admitted to being past heroin addicts. They say they were taking methadone and left the drug lying around.

Martinez faces 12 years in prison when she is sentenced. Her husband is also facing charges in the case.

Power restored to over 1,000 Los Lunas customers

LOS LUNAS (KRQE) – Downed wire caused more than 1,000 customers to be without power in Los Lunas for a short time Tuesday. PNM crews restored power around 5:30 p.m. Officials are unsure what caused the down wire.

NM students participate in rocket project

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Students from across the state put on their rocket science hats and channeled their inner Richard Branson on Tuesday. The rocket project is one way the Air Force Research Laboratory is inspiring children to take a greater interest in science.

The students spent the last several weeks constructing their own rockets; some even measured six feet tall. Students from nine middle schools participated in the event.

The famous Gila National Forest catwalk could reopen as soon as next year. The trail remains closed after flash flooding damaged the area.

Catwalk could reopen next year

SILVER CITY, N.M. (KRQE) – Heavy rains also washed out a section of New Mexico route 174 making the recreation area inaccessible. The catwalk was built in the 30s. Forest service engineers applied for emergency funding to redo the catwalk, pedestrian bridges, trails and picnic areas.

Whittier Elementary School evacuated due to smoke smell

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Whittier Elementary School in Albuquerque was evacuated Tuesday due to the smell of smoke, according to the Albuquerque Public Schools website. Parents were allowed to pick up their students, but those who walk home were held at the school. Officials say they did not find any source for the smoke smell. School will resume as normal Wednesday.

Rio Rancho library offers genealogical seminar

RIO RANCHO, N.M. (KRQE) – Interested in your family’s history?  A free genealogy workshop is being offered in Rio Rancho. The Sandoval County Genealogical Society is presenting a workshop this Saturday afternoon at the Loma Colorado Library.

The program will include genealogy basics for beginners, access to online resources, a seminar followed by a question and answer segment. Reservations are recommended by calling or emailing the library.

Senator defends winery grant

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – An Oklahoma senator is asking if taxpayers should be fronting the bill for a chile-infused wine from southern New Mexico.

Number 42 on Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn’s 2014 wastebook is Saint Claire Winery near Deming which uses ce USDA provided the winery with a $50,000 grant.

Sen. Tom Udall, who authorized the funding through the farm bill, told the New Mexico watchdog that he is proud to support New Mexico’s economy.

The grant will help the winery boost jobs in Luna County which suffers from the highest unemployment rate in the state.

Las Cruces to let minimum wage increases begin

LAS CRUCES (AP) – The Las Cruces City Council has decided to implement the first phase of a stepped increase of the minimum wage in the southern New Mexico city, but it may then consider anew whether to have the next two steps take effect.

According to the Las Cruces Sun-News, the council on Monday balked at a proposal to exempt small businesses from the previously approved ordinance.

Instead, the first phase was left intact to raise the minimum wage in Las Cruces on Jan. 1 to $8.40 per hour. That’s a 90-cent increase from the current statewide level.

Mayor Ken Miyagishima says he wants the council to then review the ordinance before subsequent phases would raise the minimum wage to $9.20 in January 2016 and to $10.10 in January 2017.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s