ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Crews are doing everything they can to make sure traffic runs smoothly through the Paseo Del Norte/I-25 project during Balloon Fiesta.
Officials said both directions of the interstate will have three open lanes, similar to what it looks like now. Project officials said while Paseo Del Norte itself will be open to traffic balloon fiesta guests still need to be prepared for backups. They say the best bet is for drivers to avoid paseo and find another route.
“While traffic will be allowed on paseo and Jefferson, congestion is likely and we’re recommending that visitors to the Albuqueruqe Balloon Fiesta take access through Tramway or Alameda,” Paseo project manager, Jim Thompson, said.
Balloon Fiesta begins October 4th.
Paseo, I-25 Traffic Information:
- While both Paseo Del Norte and I-25 will be open throughout Balloon Fiesta, Jefferson and Paseo Del Norte will not have all the lanes open, so officials are recommending visitors to Balloon Fiesta use Tramway or Alameda coming from the north or the south via I-25.
- Officials recommend people give themselves about double the time they normally would to get into and out of Balloon Fiesta Park for major events. So, if it’s taken you an hour in the past, give yourself two hours. If it’s taken you 30 minutes, give yourself an hour.
- Three lanes in each direction of I-25 will be open, very similar to what it looks like now.
- The off-ramp from I-25 northbound to Paseo will be open.
- The off-ramp from I-25 southbound to Paseo will be open with one dedicated left and one dedicated right lane turn lanes.
- The permanent loop ramp from westbound Paseo to southbound I-25 will be open to one lane.
- The San Mateo/San Antonio off-ramp will be open.
- The northbound I-25 off-ramp at Alameda will be open and at full capacity, providing a two-lane off-ramp to Alameda.
- The southbound I-25 off ramp at Ellison will be open and at full capacity, providing a two-lane off ramp.
- The new free flow ramp from eastbound Paseo to southbound I-25 will be open to one lane and Paseo will be in its current configuration with two thru lanes both east and west flying over Jefferson.
- No construction lane closures will be scheduled at night during the fiesta during peak events.
- If you use Park and Ride, also allow extra time to get into and out of Balloon Fiesta Park.
- If you haven’t already done so, sign up for free texts or emails via www.paseoi25.com.
- More information should be up on the Project website late this week or early next week.