Marcos Delgado dead after firing at officers

2 charged with harboring a fugitive

Marcos Delgado
Police are looking for 46-year-old Marcos Delgado, a man they have identified as a person of interest.

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The manhunt is over for Marcos Delgado, the man accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend and shooting three others Friday. After a violent confrontation with police, officers said Delgado shot and killed himself.

The hunt started four days ago when Delgado allegedly rammed Anna Vigil’s car near Vassar and Candelaria, then opened fire, shooting her three times and killing her.

Witnesses said Delgado then opened fire again, shooting three others including a pregnant woman. They survived, and the multi-state manhunt for Delgado began. But as it turns out, Delgado was still in Albuquerque.

KRQE News 13 is learning more about what led up to the events early Tuesday. Police said they were hoping Delgado would give up once confronted, but that did not happen.

Police said they have been following quite a few leads on where Delgado may have been. Then around 11:30 p.m. Monday they got a tip on Delgado’s whereabouts.

Air support and undercover detectives began following a car he was said to be in near 12th and Candelaria. From there, things unfolded fast.

Police said Delgado jumped out of the car and opened fire on officers with a high-powered rifle. Officers said they took cover and did not fire back.

That’s when Delgado ran east through front yards to 11th Street.

Police say they spoke to a witness who then saw Delgado armed with a handgun take his life.

A man and a woman were in the car that Delgado ran from. They have been identified at Rafael Reza, and Josephine Bailey. Reza and Bailey were arrested and will be charged with harboring a fugitive.

Neighbors on Edge

“I’ve lived here since I was little,” Eylsia Martinez said. “I’ve lived here since I was born and it seems like it’s getting worse.”

Elysia Martinez, who for most of the morning couldn’t leave her home due to police activity, says she heard 10 to 15 gunshots, waking her up. She described the whole thing as “being in a warzone.”

John Garcia also lives nearby. He says he, too, was born and raised in this neighborhood. He just moved back to Albuquerque from San Francisco.

He worries the city has changed for the worse. When he learned it was Delgado shooting near his home, he immediately feared for his life.

“You never know what they’re going through, they’re desperate,” Garcia said. “It’s a terrible place to be in and anything could happen and so I was scared for my wife and family.”

Police are hoping to learn more about Delgado and the shooting and where he’s been since Friday afternoon.

“We’d like to find out where he’s been, what he’s been doing,” said Deputy Chief Eric Garcia. “There’s possible evidence to locate to obtain from those places.”

Police say they had prepared for the worst given Delgado’s dangerous past. Thankfully, no one else was injured.

As of now, it’s unclear just how many shots Delgado fired at officers.

As for those victims from Friday’s shooting, KRQE News 13 asked how they were doing, but did not get an update. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

1 thought on “Marcos Delgado dead after firing at officers

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s