Gas line bursts, causes fire on Central

Gas leak fire
On Wednesday, a ruptured gas line resulted in a fire on Central.

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a fire at 1700 Central NW that erupted after a gas line ruptured.

The New Mexico Gas Company was conducting regular maintenance on the line when gas ignited from a control valve being released, according to AFD. Two workers quickly got away and no injuries were reported

When firefighters arrived, they say blowing gas and 10-foot flames were coming from the hole. People were evacuated from nearby businesses and a city bus trapped in the area.

All lanes on Central from San Pasquale to Laguna were closed while firefighters extinguished the flames and cleaned up the area. The gas line was shut off and will be repaired by the New Mexico Gas Company.

The road has since reopened..

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus