ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – A group of community leaders and organizations from New Mexico are going to launch a new campaign with the goal of reforming Albuquerque’s Police Department.
The initiative is called the APD Forward Campaign.
The goal is create a better police force by making officers accountable and monitoring the department of justice’s reforms.
The campaign goals include:
- Achieve a court enforced agreement between the Department of Justice and the Albuquerque Police Department that ensures that the reforms we need are fully implemented.
- Obtain the appointment of a qualified, independent monitoring team to oversee compliance with the court-ordered agreement.
- Ensure that the City of Albuquerque dedicates adequate resources to fully fund the necessary reforms.
- Obtain sustained evidence that the City of Albuquerque and APD is complying with the reform agreement and taking real, concrete steps to address the problems uncovered by the Department of Justice investigation.
APD Forward Partner Organizations
- Albuquerque Health Care for the Homeless
- American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico
- Disability Rights New Mexico
- Equality New Mexico
- La Mesa Presbyterian Church
- League of Women Voters of Central New Mexico
- National Association of Social Workers – New Mexico Chapter
- Native American Voters Alliance
- New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Strong Families
APD Forward Partner Individuals
- Fabrizio Bertoletti – former Police Oversight Task Force member
- Rev. Susan Allison-Hatch – Missionary to the Homeless, Episcopal Diocese of the Rio Grande