Elementary school students disciplined for snorting candy

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – You’ve likely heard about the troubling trend of “food challenges” where kids chug milk, eat cinnamon or down soy sauce trying not to get sick. Now, another national food trend has made its way to Albuquerque. This time a group of elementary school students are in trouble for snorting Smarties during recess.

APS says about ten fifth graders at Chaparral Elementary School were disciplined for snorting the candies. There are videos all over Youtube, showing kids smashing the candy and snorting it.

APS says the Chaparral students were caught last week and say it’s an isolated incident. However, KRQE News 13 found a PowerPoint presentation posted in December on Tony Hillerman Middle School’s website, warning of the dangers of snorting Smarties.

APS says there have been no incidents at Tony Hillerman but that parents had expressed concerns about it and understandably so. According to that PowerPoint, snorting Smarties can cause health problems like nasal irritation and infections.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Some Chaparral parents told News 13, Monday, they’re worried this could lead to worse things, others say they hope the kids learned their lesson.

“Some kids will be kids. Hopefully, they won’t do it anymore. They tried it and realized that’s not fun and that’ll be the end of that,” says Chaparral parent Joe Hurd.

The district wouldn’t tell us how the ten students were disciplined and won’t comment further because it doesn’t condone this type of behavior.

We called poison control to find out if any students in Albuquerque have gotten sick off of snorting Smarties but, haven’t been able to talk to anyone.

blog comments powered by Disqus