ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The family of the 19-year-old woman killed by an APD officer earlier this week has issued a statement.
Mary Hawkes was shot and killed by Officer Jeremy Dear early Monday morning at Wyoming and Zuni after she was suspected of stealing a truck.
When officers caught up with her APD says Hawkes began running and then pointed a gun at officer dear who then opened fire, killing her.
- Video: Chief gives update on Monday’s APD shooting
- APD identifies cop in officer-involved shooting
- Makeshift memorial left for woman shot by APD
- Police shoot, kill woman suspected of auto theft
- Photos: APD shooting at Wyoming and Zuni
- Police ID woman fatally shot by officer
Hawkes had a number of run-ins with the law for things like underage drinking and shoplifting.
She’s the daughter of former Belen police officer and Valencia County magistrate judge Danny Hawkes.
She was one of the many foster children he and his wife took in and then went on to adopt.
In a statement, the Hawkes’ say despite the issues she went through they loved her and that their loss saddens them to no end.
They say they are also praying for officer dear and his family.