Friend speaks out about Mary Hawkes’ life

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Albuquerque Police have ignored KRQE News 13’s requests for updates Tuesday on Monday’s deadly police shooting, but the people who knew 19-year-old Mary Hawkes did talk to News 13 about her troubled life.

Her past was a troubled one.

Mary Hawkes had been in and out of the system at a very young age for charges ranging from criminal sexual contact of a minor to shoplifting and drinking in public.

“She grew up not having parents and in the foster care system,” Carolina Acuña-Olvera said.

Hawkes was adopted by former Valencia County judge Danny Hawkes, who took in troubled kids.

While doing time at the juvenile detention center, Hawkes would meet Carolina Acuña-Olvera, a music instructor.

Tuesday, Acuña-Olvera visited the sidewalk near Wyoming and Zuni, where the 19-year-old was shot and killed by APD.

“I didn’t want to believe it,” Acuña-Olvera said. “You know, grief sets in and out.”

Police Chief Gorden Eden says she was a suspect in a car theft and pointed a gun at officers Monday morning.

“I can’t speak to whether she had a gun or not,” Acuña-Olvera said. “It’s not like her to have it but I also don’t know what she was doing the last 6 months.”

Up until those last six months, Acuña-Olvera did her best to help Hawkes once she got out of the juvenile lockup.

“My relationship with her was supporting her in any way possible,” Acuña-Olvera said. “I was the only one at her GED graduation.”

“She trusted me, she confided in me and she came to me. She helped me as much as I helped her,” Acuña-Olvera said.

But Acuña-Olvera admits Hawkes had trouble getting back on her feet.

“There’s this very small window to get it together.”

Once she was 18, Acuña-Olvera says Hawkes was typically living on the streets.

“I know that it’s very hard to live out here, like this on this concrete.”

News 13 started contacting APD at 9 a.m. Tuesday hoping to learn more about the shooting, what led up to it and how they know she was carrying a gun. They still haven’t gotten back to us.

Mario Romero was arrested Monday night after a candlelight vigil at the scene of Hawkes’ death.

He claimed to be Hawkes’ fiancé and police say he was emotional and pulled out a gun, saying he wanted to die in a confrontation with police, too.

Romero led them on a chase and was eventually arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and other charges.

blog comments powered by Disqus