CHIMAYO, NM (KRQE) – Tens of thousands are making their way through the winding roads in Chimayo to El Santuario.
Many began their walk overnight from Espanola, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and even farther while others laced up this morning.
- Photos: Annual Tomé Pilgrimage
- Photos: Chimayo Pilgrimage to El Santuario
- Photos: Marking Jesus’ journey on Good Friday
- Sky News 13 Video: Tomé Pilgrimage
- Sky News 13 Video: Chimayo Pilgrimage
- Walkers honor family on Tomé Pilgrimage
- Hundreds make trek to top of Tomé Hill
- Thousands make way to Chimayo Good Friday
Once they reach the small church in Chimayo most will pray and reflect on the holy meaning of Good Friday and some also believe the soil at the church has healing powers.
A number of law enforcement agencies are patrolling the most popular routes on US84-285, New Mexico 502 and New Mexico 503.
Officers have set up a DWI checkpoint near the popular routes and the state’s transportation department banned roadside concession stands saying safety was a concern.