ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – An Albuquerque elementary school has issued an alarming notice to parents about a stomach virus spreading amongst students.
Dolores Gonzales Elementary sent students home Friday with a Centers For Disease Control letter with tips and information about Norovirus after school officials noticed a higher than normal amount of student stomach illnesses.
Norovirus is a gastrointestinal illness that is highly contagious causing inflammation of the stomach and intestines. Symptoms include; vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain.
According to the CDC, Norovirus spreads quickly and easily and can be spread to others by eating or drinking contaminated foods and liquids, touching infected surfaces and having close contact with an infected person. The infection also spreads quickly is closed places such as schools, cruise ships and daycare centers.
School officials say that they are working to reduce the problem and limit the spread of illness.
At this time it is unclear how many students were affected by the illness.
Stay with KRQE News 13 for more as this story develops.