Kindergartner suspended for disturbing threats

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A lot of children have wild imaginations, but one kindergartner’s fantasies have been so graphic, detailed and violent that his classmates are scared, and so are their parents.

The school has now suspended him, but the other kids and their parents are wondering what’s next.

Parents told KRQE News 13 the threats were enough to get a 6-year-old boy suspended from Corrales Elementary School twice in a month and has their kids afraid of being killed.

“They are becoming more and more afraid,” said Sean French, who has a kindergartner at Corrales Elementary.

French said his daughter’s 6-year-old classmate was suspended Monday for threatening to bring a hatchet to class, kill two teachers, cut their heads off and then kill the principal and do the same thing.

“I don’t know where he’s getting the ideas from or how he’s getting the ideas but it is kind of scary that they’re out there and these ideas are coming to a 6-year-old’s head,” said French.

And it’s not the first threat from that student French has heard about. He said other parents tipped him off to a threat made earlier this month that was apparently very graphic.

In that case, French said the boy drew a picture of classmates and showed them what he said they’d look like after he set off a bomb and blew them up.

When French and other parents met with the principal, he said they were told there’s not much they can do because the bomb threat wasn’t deemed credible.

But the hatchet comments, “that’s the one that scared me a lot more,” said French. “My daughter was scared last night she was on the verge of tears, asking if her teacher was really going to die, if she was really going to have her head cut off.”

The principal sent out an email to parents Monday saying a student threatened to harm staff members, and that she “immediately started following district behavior protocols.”

However, French and other parents said they want better communication from the school in these cases, adding, he heard about the bomb threat from other parents, and not the school.

French and others asked that the student see a counselor.

“The first and foremost thing that I would like to see is this young man get whatever help he needs,” explained French. “Second, is we want our kids to have a safe place to go and learn.”

French said the 6-year-old is expected to be back in school Thursday. KRQE News 13 reached out to Albuquerque Public Schools on Tuesday. A spokesperson said they’d talk with the principal, but couldn’t yet comment.

Mothers and fathers of Corrales Elementary students have asked the principal to have staff check the boy’s backpack every day to make sure he doesn’t have any weapons, but French said so far that hasn’t happened. He’s worried that suspending the boy, then sending him back to the same class isn’t helping the student or his classmates in this case.

French sent a letter to APS officials asking them to address parents’ concerns in the matter. As of airtime Tuesday, he hadn’t heard back.

blog comments powered by Disqus