Blown tire sparked Highway 508 fire


PORTALES, N.M. (KRQE) – Fire officials have determined that a blown vehicle tire was the cause of the Highway 508 fire.

According to the New Mexico State Forestry evidence at the scene indicates that sparks from an exposed rim or tire steel belts ignited the nearby grass.

Officials say they were unable to get an accurate GPS reading of the fire area Tuesday, however, they hope to provide burn scar information later this week.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus