Roswell shooting suspect’s competency report released


ROSWELL, N.M. (KRQE) – The competency report of the 12-year-old Roswell Middle School student accused of shooting two classmates is expected to be handed over to the District Attorney Friday.

District Attorney Matt Chandler told KRQE News 13 earlier this week that Mason Campbell is still being held at a secure facility undergoing diagnostic tests.

Chandler says Campbell’s competency report is due to his office today.

The findings will remain confidential but a hearing will be held sometime in the next couple of weeks to determine a next step in the case.

Campbell is accused of shooting into the bleachers at the Berrendo Middle School gym in January hitting Nathaniel Tavarez and Kendal Sanders.

Both survived, but suffered permanent injuries.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus