Crews respond to 2 structure fires overnight

Crews respond to 2 structure fires overnight

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – It was a busy night for Albuquerque firefighters.

At around 11 o’clock Thursday night, a fire started at a vacant store in a strip mall at 1128 San Mateo southeast.

Crews saw smoke and flames when they arrived on scene, launching immediately on the defensive. They kept it from spreading and haven’t said what caused it.

And about an hour earlier, a cigarette being smoked while oxygen was in use sparked a fire at this home in the 9600 block of Robin northeast.

Smoke and flames were visible when crews arrived. They helped an elderly woman and her daughter get out and within 10 minutes and snuffed the fire.

It was contained to the living room, but the whole house had smoke damage.

The daughter suffered minor burns and was transported to the hospital. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus