Omaree named in 3rd police report of abuse

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – New claims of abuse surfaced in the case of Omaree Varela, 9, the boy allegedly kicked to death by his mother; the report makes it the third time police had contact with the boy and his mother before his death.

A report obtained by KRQE News 13 on Wednesday shows on Dec. 24, 2012, police were called to a Wireless Cricket Store after a customer called 911 saying a woman was punching her son.

The police report stated the woman was Synthia Varela-Casaus. The child with her was her son, Omaree.

According to the report, employees told officers they saw Varela-Casaus slap Omaree and possibly push him against the wall.

In the report, Varela-Casaus told the officer she cursed at Omaree and made him sit down, but did not hit him.

The report states the officer questioned Omaree alone and he said almost the same thing.

The officer checked for signs of abuse, paid a visit to Varela Casaus’ home and reviewed grainy surveillance video from the store. However, he said he did not find enough evidence to charge Varela-Casaus.

APD said the officer did everything right and is not under investigation. However, five other APD officers are for cases involving Omaree.

An officer and a supervisor are under investigation for a report taken at Hodgin Elementary School in October 2012. Omaree told school officials his mom hit him with a phone and gave him a black eye.

Police said a CYFD official allowed him to talk to his mother before officers questioned him and then the boy changed his story. Charges again were not filed.

Then there are the two officers who responded to Varela-Casaus’ home six months before Omaree’s death.

Officers Gil Vigil and Scott McMurrough, along with their supervisor, are under investigation after what was seen on the officers’ lapel camera video. The officers were responding to a verbally-abusive 911 call.

They never filed a report or even listened to the call before leaving and Vigil said, “You guys seem like a great family, a decent family. Just be careful about what you guys say.”

In the police report taken from the Cricket Wireless store, the officer said he called the CYFD hotline.

While CYFD says it not allowed to comment on that case, they did say this Wednesday night: “We can’t speak about the specifics of the investigation, but the findings of our investigation were consistent with the findings of the Albuquerque police department,” said Jared Rounsville who works in CYFD’s protective services division. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s