ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The 12-year-old Roswell Middle School Student accused of shooting two classmates has been moved out of an Albuquerque psychiatric facility. And KRQE News 13 has learned Mason Campbell is facing a new charge.
- Related: Photos: Berrendo Middle School Shooting
- Related: 12-year-old planned Roswell shooting
- Related: Roswell comes together after shooting
Campbell had been at a psychiatric hospital in Albuquerque since the day of the shooting, receiving treatment. As of Thursday, he is in custody.
His attorney, Bob Gorence, confirms Campbell was transferred to the Chaves County Juvenile Detention Center.
Campbell is accused of walking into the gym at Berrendo Middle School earlier this month and shooting into the bleachers hitting Nathaniel Tavarez and Kendal Sanders.
He is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, but a new D.A. has taken on the case and added a charge for bringing a weapon on school grounds.
District Attorney Matt Chandler says Gorrence waved Campbell’s right to a first appearance.
Now, a doctor has 30 days to evaluate Campbell’s competency before trial.
“The juvenile system moves much faster than the adult system so as soon as the forensic competency evaluation is complete, the court will set us a deadline to have this case within 60 days,” Chandler said.
Chandler says both sides have the opportunity to negotiate before trial, but at this point, both sides are headed for the hearing.
Campbell is facing third degree felony charges and if he’s found guilty, could end up staying there until he’s 21. Since he is only 12-years-old, that is not a likely scenario.
Under New Mexico law, children under 14 can’t be prosecuted as adults no matter what the charges are.